At least a thousand high quality fiction books hit the shelves every year. I am amazed at how authors come up with newer stories and interesting personas so often. Sometimes, however, the characters share much similarity despite the polar opposite books genres they are a part of.
I recently finished reading the Rose Gardener Mystery Series by Denise Grover Swank and realised that Rose Gardener and Harry Potter have a lot in common. Infact Rose Gardener also shares many similarities with another character Mina Grime from the book Unenchanted by Chanda Hahn (I’ll come to this in a separate post later). Here is why Rose and Harry Potter seem like literary twins:
- Both have a special gift and are termed freaks by their families for this.
- After they break away from their usual life both undergo a major transformation from shy to bold.
- Both make friends as close as family who are willing to go great lengths to protect the interests of Rose and Harry respectively.
- Coincidentally both Rose and Harry have a big adventure in each book, most times its against one mortal enemy who was also the reason behind their parents death.
- Both grew up without their parents. While Rose did live with her parents, she was treated like a step-child by her mother (who we get to know later wasn’t her mother after-all) and her father was mostly lost in his own world before he died when Rose was still very young.
- Both have unhappy and lonely childhoods. Rose did have an elder sister to offer some support whereas Harry was all alone until he turned 11.
- Both have a pet they care about a lot. Rose has Muffy and Harry has Hedwig.
- It’s not always pretty for both of them. There is a really bad guy and lot of serious moments in both the books. Rose as well as Harry have their share of setbacks. There is mystery, secrets and bloodshed in both stories. Both characters don’t have their way all the time but with every adventure they emerge strong.
- One big villain in both books has his trusted soldiers and often it’s difficult to understand who’s playing from which side.
- In both books years old events have a bearing on present day situation.
- The grand finales in both books are full of surprises, secrets, deaths, changed relationships.
Of course it is a complete coincidence but the similarities are too many to ignore 🙂
Please share your thoughts on this if you have read both the book series.
If you enjoyed this article and love reading books join me on The Book Club .