Every party needs a plat du jour or the center piece, and if you are a vegetarian, the choices are few. Presenting the very fancy and delish Tandoori Gobhi, the perfect center piece for your vegetarian dinner table.
The best part of this dish is that it does look elaborate but is really easy to make. The ingredients are also readily available in most Indian kitchens. So, lets see how you can surprise your family with this deliciousness.
What you need:
- 1 head of Cauliflower – choose the whitest, and freshest one you can find in the market
- 1 cup Hung curd (I didn’t have time to make hung curd so used greek yogurt, its thick so worked equally well. if you are making hung curd at home please note that you will need to hang about 2-3 cups of fresh curd to get 1 cup of hung curd)
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger paste (I used store bought but you can use fresh)
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic paste (I used store bought but you can use fresh)
- 1 tbsp Oil (whatever cooking oil you use)
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tbsp Kasuri methi (crush in palms and warm in microwave for 15 seconds)
- 1 tsp Red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2-21/2 spoons Tandoori masala
- A pinch of Ajwain
- Salt to taste (I used 1 1/2 tsp for a big head of cauliflower)
- Lemon, Onion and Chat masala to serve
What you need to do:
- Scrape all black bits from the Cauliflower and remove the stems. Cut the stem close to the base so that it sits nicely. Wash it well and put it in a ziploc bag .
- Microwave for 4 minutes. My Cauliflower was very big in size so I had to microwave for 6 minutes. For a medium size 4 minutes should be enough. Take it out of the ziploc bag and let it cool down.
- In the mean time mix all ingredients to prepare the marinate. Get your hands dirty and apply the marinating mixture generously all over the cauliflower. Be careful to get the marinate inside all the nooks and crannies of the vegetable without breaking it.
- Let it marinate for at least 30-40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degree Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the Cauliflower for 20 minutes and then broil for 5-7 more minutes.